5 Tips For Having Fun This Memorial Day

Wednesday, Aug 3, 2022 | Coaches, Featured, Lifestyle

Hey y’all, Coach Mindy here!
It always happens, right as we get in the groove with out healthy lifestyle, something comes up that could potentially derail us. Part of this journey is learning how to navigate these times. We want our weight loss results to be sustainable but we don’t want to spend our entire lives sitting on the sidelines. So, our solution is to learn how to have fun while keeping our eyes on our goals.

Here are my top 5 tips for having a Smashing good time this Memorial day weekend and not ruining your progress.

Tip #1 – Don’t skip your workout

I know it seems daunting but get creative. What resources do you have available. Maybe your camping and there’s hiking trails. Or maybe you’re staying somewhere by a lake or a pool, those are great places to exercise. Aquatic fitness is my favorite, you can run, jog, bounce, do jumping jacks, and swim in the water. It may feel easier, but I promise, you’re getting a great workout. Here’s an article I wrote about the benefits of Aquatic Fitness

Tip #2 – Stay Hydrated

So many times we mistake our thirst for hunger. Make sure you fill up on water so you can judge true hunger and it will be easier to skip the snacks.

Tip #3 – Double your water when drinking alcohol

After every alcoholic beverage you consume, drink 12 oz of water before you imbibe in another. This will keep you hydrated, help prevent hangovers, and slow the rate of your alcohol consumption so you can enjoy yourself more.

Tip #4 – Portion control

During your family cookout choose one of these 2 options. A. Fill a plate with 80% fruits and vegetables and fill the other 20% with foods you’ll enjoy. Or B. Fill a dessert size plate with whatever your heart desires.

Tip #5 – Bring your own snacks or meals

Depending upon your plans, it’s wise to be prepared. Whether it’s a weekend at the lake or a BBQ at a friend’s, having some safe, guilt free options can really take the stress out of staying on budget.

As always, do not beat yourself. Life is meant to be lived. We are just learning how to do that without food being the main focus. Losing weight is hard enough, feeling like you’re missing our on fun is even harder. It doesn’t have to be that way. Have fun and enjoy yourself. Happy Memorial Day!