Hi all! Healthi Coach Mindy Here!
As we go along on our weight loss journey, having a set of skills, or secret weapons, to help us is definitely an added bonus. We already know that willpower is a myth, and sometimes we need to rely on external forces to get the job done. Over the last few years of my own weight loss journey, I’ve come to determine that a consistent inspirational heart center, or “anchor” is a really helpful tool. “Anchoring” is a powerful method you can use to associate with positive feelings and memories that can reestablish your self-efficacy, aka your belief in yourself.
What is an anchor?
It’s not necessarily what you might think. It’s not something that weighs a lot and holds you back from moving forward. I’m talking about an anchor that keeps us from wandering astray. An anchor is anything that gives you a positive mindset and invokes a feeling of empowerment. Anchors can help remind you of your WHY and increase your drive to meet your goals. It can be anything, tangible or conceptual. Something that is reminiscent of a time when you felt confident and self-assured will work.
Anchors to the rescue!!
Finding the perfect anchor can be powerful. You can use just about anything: textures, sights, smells, sounds, tastes, people, places or things, as long as it’s personal and is associated with positive thoughts and emotions, it will do the trick. Here are some questions you can ask yourself to help you decide what to use as your anchor. Really think and jot down some notes.
1. What mental resource might help you overcome a challenge? Think back to a time when you were motivated to lose weight.
2. Use the 5 W’s: what, why, where, what, and who?
- What did you feel? What was happening? What did you hear from others?
- When did you experienced that feeling?
- Why did you experience that feeling?
- Where were you when you experienced these feelings?
- Who were you with? Who makes you feel supported? Who is encouraging?
Really THINK about how you FELT when you were very motivated. Feelings are everything when it comes to how effective an anchor will be.
3. What item, object, image, quote, word, or expression could serve as a reminder of that moment when you felt motivated and empowered?
Here are just a few examples of what one might use as an anchor.
- A quote or phrase
- A word
- A prayer
- An item of clothing
- A picture of yourself or loved one
- A piece of jewelry
- A card
- A note of encouragement or praise
- A certain smell (candle, essential oil, perfume)
- A song
As you can see, the possibilities are infinite! You can truly use ANYTHING as your anchor, as long as it is meaningful to you. If you’re interested, take some time to really intentionally determine your anchor. Bonus points for making it a multi-level anchor. Maybe the idea of texting an accountability friend (or posting in the Healthi Community) when your anchor song comes on! Whatever it is, make it work for you!
We can do this! Stay Healthi, friends!