Hi Everyone! Healthi Community Manager, Jordan, here!
Whether you need to make a quick stop at a local convenience store, or are looking for a road trip snack, it’s helpful to know how we can stay healthy even with limited options. In fact, I even have some specific reasons for visiting my local Dollar Tree regularly.
While we know it can be hard sometimes to break the temptations of those front-and-center sugary displays, don’t think that’s your only resort! Here are a few options to keep you feeling good, full and on track.
Convenient, Healthy Snack Grabs!
- Fruit: One reliable snack is always going to be the fruit staples (apples, bananas, oranges), that are usually by the refrigerated area or on the check-out counter. We’re all familiar with the nutritional benefits of fruit so no need to get into the nitty gritty, but you can bet I’m always grabbing one on my way out!
- Nut and fruit trail mix: The protein, fiber, and healthy, unsaturated fats in nut mixes ensure that you’re full and satisfied. These typically come in a variety of packs so if you look closely, make sure to avoid the mixes packed with m&ms, and keep dried fruit to a minimum for low-sugar.
- Energy Bars: Another filling and perfect on-the-go snack from a convenience store is an energy bar. Try to find one with more protein, and minimal processing such as KIND, Kashi, or Think Thin. Maybe grab a few that will come in handy later!
- Cheese stick and yogurt: Usually you can find some kind of nonfat greek yogurt, as well as a part-skim cheese stick right in the same section. Low in sugar and high in protein, this is a good snack that feels like a little more substance than other snacks.
- Cereal cup: Unfortunately, not the Lucky Charms or Froot Loops, but if you can find a whole-grain option, such as Kashi brand, you can make a great and easy breakfast. If you’re worried about a car mess, switch milk with some nonfat greek yogurt!
Aside from on-the-go snacks, I’ve found a few other ways to hack health finds at convenience stores! If you’re someone like me, who makes regular stops by my Dollar Tree or other similar stores, here are some reasons for going that have especially helped me out while on my health and wellness journey.
Everything is $1!
This helps me stay in my budget for the week for groceries. As a family of 4, it’s hard to purchase everything I need at a store like Dollar Tree, but I still squeeze in a few different things that are staples for my journey.
This is something I always go check out when I stop at Dollar Tree. Today, for instance, I found a 2 pack of food prep containers that have multiple compartments for food items. This is great, because I don’t want to purchase them in bulk on Amazon, because we just don’t have the space for it in our home.
Single Serve Food Items
Now I know what you are going to say- you can get some of these items at Walmart Jordan! But for me, I like that I can get single serve snack items to just throw in my lunch box to bring to the office. Reference the list above for some of my favorites!
My favorite thing when I visit Dollar Tree is looking at their drinks. Sometimes I can find protein shakes like premier protein that are normally $7 for a 4-pack at Walmart!
Of course, I don’t purchase every single thing I use for my health and wellness journey from Dollar Tree, but by stopping there first before heading to the grocery store or big box store, I can get some necessities without breaking the bank.
We hope you’ve found this useful, and if you have any other recommendations, we’d love to hear ‘em!