Nothing beats the refreshing taste of fresh, ripe fruit on a scorching summer day! Fruits are a powerhouse of essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber, making them an integral part of a healthy diet. But have you ever considered grilling your fruit? Trust me, it’s a game-changer! The intense heat of the grill imparts an incredible smoky-sweet flavor that is absolutely irresistible. Plus, the grill adds a caramelized and sweet texture, elevating the fruit’s exotic taste. Whether you’re using a gas or charcoal grill, there are various methods to grill fruit: use grill-safe baking dishes, skewer the fruit on kebabs, or place it directly on the grill. Grilled fruit is perfect for tossing into salads, serving as a delightful side at your next outdoor BBQ, or topping with a scoop of cold ice cream for a luscious dessert. Let me share three of my favorite grilled fruit recipes with you.
Grilled Fruit Kabobs:
- 2 cups pineapple chunks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups cantaloupe chunks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed
- Coconut oil spray
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Vanilla yogurt for serving
- Preheat the grill to high heat and soak the skewers in water for 20 minutes (to prevent burning!).
- Thread two pieces each of strawberry, cantaloupe, and pineapple onto each skewer, assembling the desired number of skewers.
- Spray each skewer with coconut oil spray and brush with maple syrup.
- Place the skewers on the grill in a single layer and grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and tender (approximately 10 minutes in total).
- Serve immediately, optionally with a side of vanilla yogurt for dipping.
Grilled Watermelon Salad:
- ¼ medium watermelon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups arugula
- ½ cup crumbled or cubed feta cheese
- ½ cup sliced red onion (about ½ of an onion)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium/high heat. Cut the watermelon into 1-inch thick slices and remove the rind. Coat the watermelon with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the watermelon on the grill over medium/high heat until char lines develop and the watermelon lightly browns, approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and chop into large chunks.
- In a large bowl, combine the grilled watermelon, arugula, feta cheese, mint, red onion, and basil.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Gently combine the dressing with the rest of the salad.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours and serve chilled.
- Ripe-yet-firm peaches
- Melted unsalted butter
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Wash the peaches and cut them in half, removing the pits.
- Brush each half with melted butter.
- Grill the peaches on each side for 4 minutes.
- Serve them warm with frozen yogurt or ice cream, or chill them and use as a topping for cottage cheese, oatmeal, or yogurt.
So, go ahead, fire up that bbq and let’s start grilling!!